This course will introduce students to the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) as a holistic approach to evaluate, among others, energy conversion technologies throughout their entire value chain, and across multiple environmental problems beyond climate change.
The goal of the course is to introduce the methodology of life cycle environmental impact assessment and its application in energy systems.
The content of the course is :
- Introduction to the conceptual framework of LCA and the basic principles according to ISO 14040/44;
- Defining the Goal and setting the scope of a LCA study;
- The computational structure of LCA: modeling the technological system, the related emissions and resources consumption over the entire value chain and characterize the potential environmental impacts;
- Interpretation of a life cycle assessment results, understanding the influence of modeling choices on LCA results and identify current limitations;
- Identify the major environmental issues related to current and new technologies
- Analyse the environmental benefits of energy system integration throughout the value chain
This will be a block course of 1 week with 14h theory and 28 hours practice in form a project realisation
Evaluation will be based on an oral presentation of the project report.